Our heritage is traced back to Burrell Construction and Supply Company; principally doing business in concrete and asphalt based construction, was founded on July 10, 1935. This fledgling company commenced doing business with 1 operating plant and 5 employees. At the height of the companies’ business operations there were close to 600 employees and 12 operating plants serving the Western Pennsylvania region. In 1988 the majority of the construction company assets were sold with the remaining company being renamed Burrell Group, Inc.
After divesting the construction company; Burrell Group began to expand into businesses associated with the construction industry when we purchased what is now Westmoreland Insurance Services during the spring of 1960.
In the early 1980’s, Burrell was gaining a great deal of market share in the mining industry by selling concrete and mortar products approved for underground use. The volume of business was so consistent that Burrell Mining Products, Inc. was formed October 14, 1984. Our expertise was noticed and appreciated by the US Bureau of Mines which led to the introduction of several innovative product lines.