Charles H. Booth, Jr.
Charles Booth, Jr. was born in New Kensington, PA in 1919 to a family noted for giving back to the community. He has spent his life building upon his family’s legacy of commitment and service to the communities throughout the Alle-Kiski Valley and Pittsburgh region, a place he has continued to call home.
In 1941, Mr. Booth left college to join the Army Air Corps as World War II was commencing. During his four-year service, he flew 30 combat missions with the 8th Air Force out of England and attained the rank of Major. He was wounded in action over Berlin on March 8, 1944 and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with 5 battle Stars, and the Purple Heart award. Following the war, he continued to serve in the reserves and earned the rank of Colonel.
After returning home in 1945, Mr. Booth joined Burrell Construction & Supply Co. as an assistant engineer, and was part of Burrell’s growth from a small, five employee company that survived a devasting fire in 1935 into a much larger corporation with 12 plants, 600 employees, and over 500 pieces of major equipment. He ascended to the position of Vice President of Operations in 1948, before he was eventually promoted to President & CEO in 1972.
Mr. Booth’s leadership and guidance was pivotal to Burrell’s growth and diversification over the years, which has included the purchase of Westmoreland Insurance Services, the creation of Burrell Mining International, the formation of Burrell Leasing and Development Company, and a joint venture with Adelaide Brighton, a leading Australian integrated construction materials and lime producing group of companies with revenues of $1.4B.
Mr. Booth used his success at Burrell to help give back to his community, utilizing his talents and money to support hundreds of local organizations. Over the years, he has served on the boards of the Westmoreland Museum of Modern American Art, Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Association, New Kensington Chamber of Commerce, Contractors Association of Western Pennsylvania, and the Alle-Kiski Medical Center. Notably, he also served on the Penn State University Advisory Board and was a staunch advocate for establishing the Penn State University campus in New Kensington.